Recognizing the importance of social justice, we strive to raise awareness and educate, provide direct service, empower others and ignite action by following the Catholic Social Teachings and Holy Scripture.
Values and guiding Principles: Catholic Social Teaching
- Call to family, community and participation – Belief that all people have a right and duty to participate in society.
- Rights and responsibilities – Right to life and choice for human dignity.
- Option for the poor and vulnerable – Put the needs of poor and vulnerable first.
- Dignity of Work and rights of workers – The basic rights of workers must be respected
- Solidarity – We are one family, no matter ethnic, racial, economic, ideological differences.
- Care for God’s creation – Stewardship of creation is vital.
The committee is composed of parishioners from both parishes who are interested in learning more about Catholic Social Justice themes. The committee works towards goals set annually. As part of our self education, we encourage and offer financial support if needed for our members to attend trainings/workshops sponsored by the diocesan office of social concerns. The Social Justice committee has a liason from the parish councils in a committee member(s). Meeting minutes are shared at the council meetings to facilitate and encourage better communication between other parish programs and events. A budget is drafted annually and presented to the parish councils.
- We expect all committee members to attend the meetings
- If there is a conflict for members, we accommodate as best we can for a meeting time
- Generally monthly, 8-10 annually
- First Thursday of the month at 6:30 p.m.
- Held at Centro Hispanio office building next to St. Joseph’s Church in Waite Park, MN
- We have a facilitator/group leader; a backup if needed and a recorder of minutes
- All are expected to participate in events, projects, outside of the meeting as best they can
- We ask a commitment of 3 years. Membership may be renewed
- Our year begins in the fall and ends the following summer
Actions taken in past Social Concerns/Justice committee years:
- Advent Prayer partners
- Community meetings to educate people about the struggles of the Latinos
- Sharing Tree
- Share information about community groups sharing common concerns
- Connect with the Latino population in our parish
- Novena for peace and justice
- Attend conferences to learn more about social justice issues
- Soup suppers
- Book study
- Started selling fair trade coffee at our parishes
We are always looking for new members to join. If you have questions, please feel free to contact any of the following people:
List of members and their contact info for 2018:
- Kathy Peterson 320-253-7548 email@example.com
- Mike Monnens 320-267-5505 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Patty Keeling 701-471-1479 email@example.com
- Peg Imholte 320-205-1200 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jim Rudolph 320-252-0135 email@example.com
- Judy Brannon 320-250-6328 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mari Walker 320-253-6162 email@example.com